The Yenching Academy of Peking University aims to build bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary master’s program in China Studies. This initiative brings together young people who have demonstrated a talent for leadership and innovation. At Yenching, they are immersed in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world—past, present, and future. The Academy’s goal is to shape new generations of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August of the award year
- An outstanding academic record
- English proficiency
- Preference is given to candidates age 25 or younger as of the award year. For students from countries with mandatory military service, the age preference is 27 years old or younger.
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency
The Yenching Academy provides full fellowships to its scholars, and offers them a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the humanities and social sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars create their own study paths by choosing courses from six research areas. They participate in a variety of extracurricular activities and field studies, organized by the Yenching Academy, and designed by scholars themselves. Studying at the Academy is an exceptional opportunity to take part in intercultural exchanges and interdisciplinary learning, developing both personally and professionally.
- Completed online application form
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- International English proficiency test score (IELTS Academic 7/TOEFL 100/Cambridge 180/CEFR C1 required).
Candidates apply through Yenching Academy’s online application portal. More details will be available through the portal once the applicant has created an account.