Rhodes Trust Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship is for U.S. citizens or international students under the age of 24 who are graduating seniors, graduate/professional students, or recent graduates. The Rhodes Scholarship funds graduate study at the University of Oxford in England. The U.S. competition for the Rhodes Scholarship is only open to U.S. citizens, lawful US Permanent Residents, and DACA recipients. There are other award opportunities for international students, including the Rhodes Global Scholarship.
The Rhodes Scholarship requires candidates to have an endorsement from the University of Missouri. For this reason, applying for the Rhodes Scholarship as an undergraduate involves the following steps:
Prior to the Campus Deadline
- Make an appointment with a fellowships advisor by March 1 of your junior year (or whatever year in which you are applying for the Rhodes Scholarship).
- During this initial meeting, you will discuss the purpose of the Rhodes Scholarship and its selection criteria. You will also share your interest in the award and your academic and professional accomplishments to date. Your advisor will compare your credentials to the selection criteria, letting you know if you could be a competitive candidate. Your advisor may also inform you of other awards for which you should consider applying.
- If you decide to seek a campus endorsement, you will work with your advisor to write and revise drafts of the Rhodes Scholarship Campus Application.
- Submit the Rhodes Scholarship Campus Application.
- After submitting your campus application, your advisor will share it with the Rhodes Scholarship review committee (a group of MU faculty and administrators familiar with the Mitchell Scholarship program).
- You will then have a 30-minute campus endorsement interview in which you explain your purpose in seeking the scholarship.
Prior to the National Deadline
- If you receive a campus endorsement, you will work closely with your fellowship advisor to write and revise many drafts of your application materials and collect strong letters of recommendation prior to the national deadline.
Seniors or recent graduates, 18-24 years old, with a high GPA in any major.
Each Scholar receives, in addition to full coverage of all fee’s to Oxford, a maintenance allowance adequate to meet necessary expenses for term-time and vacations. The Rhodes Trustees cover the necessary costs of travel to and from Oxford, and upon application, may approve additional grants for research purposes or study-related travel.
Campus Deadline: May 20, 2020